What We’re Talkin’ About

RV insurance, Do I Need RV Insurance or Will Home Insurance Cover It?

Do I Need RV Insurance or Will Home Insurance Cover It?

The weather’s warming up and businesses are slowly starting to reopen. Do you know what that means? It’s time to start making those traveling and camping dreams a reality. But before you hit the road, it’s important to make sure you, your family, and your belongings are protected. One key method of doing so is with the right RV insurance.

Understanding When You Do and Don’t Need RV Insurance

The term RV (recreational vehicle) is pretty broad and includes several different types of vehicles — and each type, known more specifically as a ‘class’, has its own requirements.

If you have a Class A, Class B, or Class C RV or camper, then you will always need your own RV insurance. It’s pretty easy to know what these types are, as they are any RV that has the ability to drive itself. If it has an engine and a steering wheel, it’s categorized in one of the aforementioned classes and you will need to talk to your insurance agent about RV insurance.

However, if your RV or camper doesn’t have an engine, then it’s in a non-motorized RV class, which consists of fifth-wheel camper trailers, caravans, travel trailers, pop-up campers, and truck campers. All of these types of campers are not required to have any specialized RV insurance.

Additionally, these other types of campers may very well be covered by your homeowner’s insurance. So long as your RV or camper is at your home, it will typically be covered under your policy’s property coverage or, if it’s stored in a detached garage or similar building, it will typically be covered via an ‘additional structures’ coverage. This type of insurance will reimburse you if your camper gets damaged in a storm or if someone comes on your property and steals something from your camper or damages it in some way.

Note that while generally, homeowner’s insurance will cover your camper in these circumstances, it always pays to double-check and talk to your insurance agent about what is covered and what’s not covered. Furthermore, homeowner’s insurance will generally have limited coverage once your camper leaves your property and so if you have a newer unit, you may still want to ask after extra RV insurance.

Before You Head Out, Schedule a Tune-Up

A tune-up is a great idea to make sure that your vehicle is fully equipped and ready to hit the road without an issue. Contact our team today to schedule your appointment.